On Sep 22, Peter Eckersley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This means, in practice, that many sites will be able to track Debian
> users by their User-Agent, even if (say) the user is blocking cookies or
> limiting them to a single session and is changing IP address regularly.
This is highly debateable. There may be tens or thousands of users of
the same package visiting a web site.

> What do people think of picking a single User-Agent string for all
> versions of all of Debian's Gecko-based browsers?
It's a bad idea. Please do not try to fuck up browsers.

> Would there be any serious harm in terms of browser debugging?  Are
Yes. For no real gain, it would make debugging harder and make
statistics much less useful.

> there many sites which usefully treat different Gecko browsers
> differently?
It's probably a number small enough to not be relevant in any decision.
Using the User-Agent string instead of proper functional testing is
badly broken anyway and is not the reason for User-Agent and similar
headers in other protocols.

> As a far more hypothetical question, what would people think of picking
> a single User-Agent for Gecko-based browsers for a larger set of
> GNU/Linux distributions?
A waste of time for us, but I am sure that you could use it to make some
nice PR to justify your job.

--
ciao,
Marco