Hello,

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Rationale: the watch files are meant to keep track of upstream and if there's
> a newer version not being reported by the watch file it means that it needs
> to be fixed.
>
> Please note that this situation often occurs when the maintainer didn't make
> the watch file strip some +VCSrevNNNNN that was added to the Debian Version.
>
> If nobody objects I'll start filling (in an automated way since there are no
> false positives) reports on the 307 source packages which report a Debian
> upstream version higher than Upstream version by the watch file.

I do object. I don't think it's really important to complicate watch files
to strip .dfsg or +svnXXXX that are addded by Debian maintainers. The most
important thing with watch files is that a new upstream version is
detected... but it's not important if the report says that Debian is newer
than upstream when in fact we're at the same version.

And when we have +svnXXXX we are indeed newer than the upstream released
tarball and the information is correct! So stripping that part would be a
mistake.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog