Luk Claes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bas Wijnen wrote:

>> Yes, sorry.  I forgot that those exist as well. :-)

> Why are we bothering to make something up if everyone is using etch<nr>
> etc?

1.0-1sarge1 >> 1.0-1etch1.  We don't have this problem currently because
1.0-1etch1 << 1.0-1lenny1, but we will again at some point in the future,
and it would be nice to resolve it once and for all.  Using something
based on the Debian release version has the advantage that the version
always increases from release to release.  The code names bounce all over
the place in version sorting space.

And the original problem that sparked this thread is that devscripts is
now using 1.0+nmu1 for NMUs of native packages and we're trying to figure
out what version number should be used for security and/or stable uploads
of native packages so that they sort properly.  It would be nice if we
could use the same convention for both native and non-native packages.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>