On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:52:47AM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 09:35:28PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > >
> > > Odd, the headers it generated allways worked for me.
> >
> > Taken to another system?
> >
> > The problems I remember:
> >
> > 1. the "source" and "build" links pointed to an incorrect place. An
> > invalid build link is a problem.
>
> How are you trying to build the modules? If you build everything in the same
> place,

I'm trying to reproduce a kernel-headers package. See my above post.

> kernel-source-dir$ fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image modules-image
>
> should also (along with the desired kernel image) build modules unpacked in
> dirs under /usr/src/modules. Note that this and procedures below *will only
> work* for Debian packaged modules source packages.

Unlike what some of us believe, not everything in the world is packaged
in deb packages. I am occasionally known to build modules from other
sources.

I tend to prefer to build packages as non-root. e.g: 'm-a -u . build' .
Yet I never figured out how to make it use an extracted source tree of
my own. It also requires a magical symlink in /usr/share/modass for
something that is probably historical reasons. And this means you can
just "build from a tarball (if setting TARBALL) without installing the
-source package first as root. m-a is very handy when you build as root.
A bit less so when you don't.

> I insist that nothing of the above will be useful if you try to build
> modules directly from upstream sources.

kernel-headers should be. At least if the build link is properly set.

Cheers,

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                    |  best