On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:52:43AM +0200, Per Olofsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> > I have no idea if it's trivially possible, but it would be ideal if
> > whatever spell checker we switched to had some sort of compatibility
> > layer for ispell to reduce the number of applications that are
> > affected by such a migration.
>
> Both hunspell and aspell have such compatibility modes. However, most
> applications simply call 'ispell', so maybe that name should be managed
> through
> alternatives.

For aspell that alternative should be to the aspell ispell wrapper
(currently an example under /usr/share/doc/aspell/examples/ispell)

Also we should make sure that old ispell dict names are honoured. aspell has
alias that should already do that for most dicts, but for hunspell we may
need to add symlinks like spanish{.aff,dic} -> es_ES.{aff,dic}

--
Agustin