On Fri, Feb 20 2009, Jörg Sommer wrote:

> I'm packaging etcgit [1], a system to manage configuration files in /etc
> with git, similar to etckeeper. Etcgit tracks the original version of all
> files and therefore, I have to wrap ucf to get the original version and
> stop ucf from doing anything. The script [2] is mainly this:

        Shouldn't etcgit be tracking the current state as well as the
  original versions?

        Also, I am not sure that this is valid.  ucf is merely a toll
 for the administrator to select what the local configuration file
 contains; and as such is logically similar to vi or emacs.  If you are
 nto planning on wrapping vi-and-variants, and various emacsen, why wrap
 ucf?

> save_original
> merge_with_current
> export UCF_FORCE_CONFFOLD=1

        NAK.

        I think this is wrong.  This essentially says that ucf should
 never present the new config file to the user, even if keeping the old
 configuration files breaks the system. If the user/maintainer decides
 to shoot themselves in the foot it is onething,  but ucf should never
 set this as the default.

> run_real_ucf "$@"
> rm "$file".ucf-dist
>
> As the Debian policy requests, I write to you to tell you about my plan
> and ask for your approval.

        I think this should be discussed on -devel, not just between us.

> [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jo-guest/etcgit.git;a=summary
> [2]
> http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jo-guest/etcgit.git;a=blob;f=ucf-wrapper;hb=HEAD

        manoj