On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:36:40AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:10:25PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:

> > > No, the answer is always the second one.
> >
> > Err, why? I've seen grub failing more often, and heard way more report
> > of this, than of lilo. Please explain why you say so.
> >
> > The grub installer also used to read the blockdevice while the
> > filesystem was mounted, which is never the right answer. It has always
> > seemed hackish to me, duplicating fs functionality (and not always
> > correctly, e.g. related to journal replaying on ext3/xfs).
> >
> > A simple block list is just that.
>
> Run update-initramfs -u without running lilo. Oh, you boot on the old
> initramfs. Now remove the old initramfs and put some other files in
> /boot. Then you're likely to not be able to boot at all. That sure is
> better.

Are you complaining that lilo allows one to shot oneself in the foot?
Because that how it looks like.

My point is that in controlled environments, lilo looks to be more
stable. Not for desktop usage, not for update-iniramfs usage without
knowing what needs to be done.

Again, my point is (like the grand-grand-parent), that the answer
differs by application. grubs is not always better.

regards,
iustin