Hi,

I recently converted a few quilt using local packages to the new 3.0
(quilt) format. Additionaly those packages are kept in an RCS
(mercurial here). Now the problem is: How to version control them?

The new format allows one to just edit the source and build it. No
creation of patches neccessary as dpkg-source creates them for you.
Obviously it is a good idea to give patches a descriptive name instead
of debian-changes-version but that is easy enough to do after a test
build. The ease of creating new patches is just so much fun.

But how/what do I add and commit to the RCS?

1) everything

This would add the modified upstream files, each patches .pc/patch/
files and each debian/patches/* file. Obvious flaw: multiple copies of
files are kept.

I also think this breaks merging in a new upstream as it would only
merge into the last patch but poping that would revert all the last
upstream changes. So before an upstream merge all patches have to be
unapplied, then merge, then reapply.

2) only unpatched sources + debian

This would add only .pc/version and debian/patches/*. No
duplications. Also dpkg-buildpackage is smart enough to reapply the
patches before building so "hg clone package && cd package && debuild"
works fine. But now one has to be carefull to always unapply all
patches before doing a commit.

Currently I think the second option is more sane. What are your
thoughts?

MfG
        Goswin

PS: This has to have as little management overhead as possible so my
coworkers that are unfamiliar with my workflow can't mess things up
when they need to work on the source. I think that excludes a "one
branch per patch" approach.