On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 08:51:33AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2009, David Weinehall wrote:
> > >         No. But we do leave /usr read-only the rest of the time, which
> > >  is often 99.999% of the time. A separate /usr is required for this.
> >
> > Uhm, no?
> >
> > mount --bind /usr /usr
>
> First, you'd need a RO bind mount (yes, it exists, but your command
> doesn't do it).  Second, the filesystem is still RW, so it gains you
> very little as far as data safety goes.

That's because you neatly trimmed off the rest of my message, which was:

> > Should do the trick (the same mount -o remount,rw / remount,ro then
> > applies).  all thanks to the magic of subtrees :)

> A separate /usr *is* the way to go if you don't want any writes in
> that filesystem 99.9% of the time (i.e. when you're not doing an
> upgrade).

I'm not opposing this, and I definitely don't support Marco's idea.
I just pointed out that a separate filesystem isn't required to
make a mountpoint read-only.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <t...@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //