Raphael Hertzog <hert...@debian.org> writes:

> BTW, just to make things clear. It's likely that those Makefile
> snippet (if we decide to go that way) become quite more elaborated as
> we try integrating support for things like hardening-wrapper (see
> #489771).  Expect stuff like "if debian/control has
> Build-Options-Supported:  hardening" then use that set of flags,
> otherwise that one.

I still think Build-Options-Supported is fundamentally the wrong way to
implement that.  You have to modify every package to add it anyway, in
which case you can just as easily support it in the package's
debian/rules the way that we already support various other
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS settings.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>