Le Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 11:03:11AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:

About zip support:

> > But actually, among the programs that are not distributed upstream in a
> > tar.gz
> > format, we in the Debian Med team have as many zip cases as bzip2. Do you
> > think
> > that it would be possible to support zip format (i.e. .zip, .jar and .xpi
> > extensions) for Debian source packages version 3?
>
> Not really. First of all, that support should have been implemented with
> the rest so that it's available in lenny already. Then many options and
> features rely on the fact that tar is used. So it would probably requires
> addition of a supplementary abstraction/indirection.

I see that .bzip2 and .lzma are also supported compression methods for the 3.0
(native) format as well as for the binary packages. But I do not think it would
be useful to add zip to this list. It seems to me that the only thing needed is
the capacity to unpack the original upstream sources. In that case there would
not be a need for a Lenny support, isn't it?

About patches not accepted by dpkg-dev:

> > It would be of course easy to convert the patch, but I would really
> > prefer to stay as identical to upstream's materials as possible.
>
> How are patches distributed and what kind of conversions is needed?

The patch is available from the upstream FTP server and it just works to drop
it in debian/patches, the only modification being of course to add it a nice
DEP-3 header.

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/emboss/trunk/debian/patches/official-upstream-patch.patch

The patch is not in unified format, which causes the failure of
dpkg-buildpackage. It is trivial to refresh it with quilt to the unified
format, but this introduces a divergence with upstream that I would prefer to
avoid, because it makes it difficult for others to verify that we did not
modify it. Can you support in the format ’3.0 (quilt)’ patches that are
accepted by default quilt installation?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy