On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 01:25:55PM -0800, Daniel Moerner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Russell Coker <russ...@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > I've just done a debootstrap install of Lenny, and /etc/hosts doesn't exist.
> > Where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?  I think it should have something
> > like the following (copied from an ancient Debian install).

> > 127.0.0.1       localhost

> > # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
> > ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> > fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> > ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> > ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> > ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> > ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

> For debootstrapped installs, it's not automatically created by
> anything. The recommended setup is almost the same as that, although
> as Neil said you still need to add a hostname on to the first line.

No, the hostname should be set on a *separate* line, mapped to 127.0.1.1,
as we've been doing for years now.  Setting an equivalence between localhost
and the hostname causes all manner of problems due to hostname
canonicalization.

> [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apds03.html.en#id3124776

Well, ugh, that needs corrected.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org