hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:10:16PM -0500, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> You could use epochs to make the old version have a newer version
> number according to dpkg. I don't know how distasteful that is,
> though.

it also might be a bit disruptive for those who have already installed
the newer version of this package, don't know if you care about that.  if
you do, a suggestion:

 * keep the current development version in unstable
 * report an RC bug against the development version to keep it from testing,
   and ask the release team to boot it from testing if it's already there.
 * upload a new "stable" version to unstable, using a different naming
   scheme for source and binary packages, complete with the respective
   conflicts/replaces/provides etc.  (i.e. Binary: mongodb-1.2)
 * once debian has released squeeze, upload transitional packages to force
   users to migrate to the "development" version.

        sean