On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:17:27PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:13:06PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > - disk space on buildds: at least 2 GiB are required to build a kernel
> >   with debuginfo. (that doesn't sound too hard to satisfy)
> There currently are packages that require more diskspace than
> that, for instance the linux-2.6 package on i386 uses 4.7 GB,
> while it uses 2.6 GB on amd64.

This is a misinterpretation of my data. The effective space requirement
is raised by factor 10 with debugging information.

> Do you know if there is any cost in cpu time for this?

For the build it is marginal. Until the size themself produces cpu
usage, e.g. with ccache, which at least I use often to shorten the build
time. On runtime it also seems negligible, at least on powerpc, s390 and
x86, it adds a hook into the fault handler for kernel addresses.

Bastian

--
A father doesn't destroy his children.
                -- Lt. Carolyn Palamas, "Who Mourns for Adonais?",