On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 06:38:00PM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Dmitry E. Oboukhov (un...@debian.org):
> > There are many packages in debian contain flag images.
>

> I think this whole thread answered....something that wasn't asked in
> your question (is is good or bad to use flags). Flags *are* used,
> whether we like it or not...or whether this is a good idea or not.
>
> The fact is that flags *are* used in software to represent things
> (countries, languages, keymaps...). They are used to represent
> languages and, while I know this is a bad idea, I find it easier for
> me to spot the German flag and then be sure to avoid clicking on that
> icon if I want to continue understanding something or be qble to yrite
> soöething on öz kezboqrd..:-)
>
> So, Dmitry's proposal to have a good set of flags that could be
> available for use (good or bad is the software's problem) seems to be
> an interesting idea to me.
>
> And, at the minimum, we could answer the technical question he's
> asking..:-)
>
> I don't have a very clear idea about the location for files. I only
> have a good idea about the file name and the file contents and I would
> recommend flags to be named either after the said
> countries/territories ISO code....and that the content should be the
> official flag used by the country/territory official
> government/authority.
(...)

On the other hand, one application will want 16x10 icons, another one
24x15, another one may have some effects applied on the flags to better
fit the UI design, etc.

So while applications amy be using flags already, are they really using
the same ones, and would they benefit from having only one source for
all flags ?

Mike