Dear all,

I am getting confused by the different meanings of the Format fields and the
format file in the Debian source packages and their accompanying files.

[In the paragraphs below, I name the files according to Policy 3.8.4 §5]

 * In Debian changes files, Format is currently 1.8; I suppose that it
   defines the meaning and syntax of the other fields. Is there a place were the
   history of this file format is defined? Is it a general format number for
what
   we call the “pseudo RFC-822”, “paragraph”, or  “stanza” format?

 * In the Debian source control files, Format is 1.0 or 3.0 (variant). This
   defines the format of the source package. Is the format of the Debian source
control
   file itself tied to the format of the source package, or is it independant
as for
   the changes files?

 * A Format field in source package control files used to determine
   the Format field of the Debian source control files, but in the latest
   Policy, this field is not listed in §5.2, that defines source package
control files.
   However, other fields, like the VCS-* fields are not listed there, so it
   does not mean that the Format field is disallowed. Nevertheless it seems to
be
   deprecated. Should the policy be updated to reflect this?

 * §5.6.16 specifies a value of 1.5 for all Format fields. Is it a source
package format
   version or a “pseudo RFC-822” format version. If yes should this number be
updated to 1.8,
   or even to 1.9 to reflect that the Format field is deprecated in source
package
   control files?

 * Lastly, there is the new debian/source configuration directory, that is used
   by the latest dpkg-dev, but also by lintian. Is the structure of this
directory
   described somewhere? Is it versionned?

Needless to say, I volunteer to send a patch to the Policy that will summarise
the answers to this email.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy