On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 07:10:37PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 06:13:13PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > Colin added himself to the Uploaders field when I requested him to do so,
> > as he's been in charge of Ubuntu's switch to GRUB2 for Ubuntu and after
> > the "disappearance" of Felix and Robert, he's the Debian person with more
> > experience to do uploads of the package. He did know he wouldn't be able
> > to track upstream as Felix and Robert were (ie, uploading several
> > snapshots every two weeks or so).
> >
> > I can try to work with Vladimir and Colin to get things shaped out a
> > little, but honestly I don't think I'd be in a position to do this before
> > the 22th of June, when exams finish.
>
> In the meantime, it would be terribly useful if some of you can inform
> us of whether you think things can get in shape for Squeeze or not,
> considering the currently available manpower.  If not, we probably ought
> to be more "communicative" on the fact we really need help on grub2
> (e.g. Colin can blog about that *g*).

I think grub2 is in a slightly less awful state than it looks just from
its RC bug count.  Boot loaders do tend to attract RC bugs - if it
doesn't boot in some corner case, people understandably crank the
severity up rather high even if it doesn't indicate that it's broken for
most people.

That said, this is a reason and not an excuse.  I've certainly been
neglecting the bug list - Robert and Felix were doing a much better job
of keeping up with it than I seem to have managed.

I'm in the process of preparing a new upstream snapshot now, and have
spent most of the day trying to tidy things up a bit.  I've downgraded a
couple of RC bugs as corner-case and unreproducible, and closed several
more since they were already fixed in the current package.  Of the rest,
they mostly fall into a few main categories with the odd outlier:

 * upgrade-from-grub-legacy problems
 * an assortment of problems with complex block devices (LVM/RAID)
 * unstable device naming in grub-pc/install_devices

I haven't tackled the first yet, but they're hopefully fairly tractable;
that code is just a little unrefined as yet.  Fixing the LVM/RAID cases
is very likely a matter of sitting down with a sequence of test installs
in a VM, which I'm going to attack over the next couple of days.  The
last is nearly done, but I want to fix some known problems in it first
and will probably upload a snapshot without it to start with in order to
make it easier to bisect any new bugs.

In short: my apologies that it's ended up in such a state.  However, I
think I will have time to at least deal with the RC bugs, and hopefully
a number more (including e.g. the btrfs probing bug).  I wouldn't
complain about help though!

(CCs welcome on replies if you want to get my attention a bit faster.)

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@debian.org]