On 15 June 2010 21:59, Neil Williams <codeh...@debian.org> wrote:
> Encouraging maintainers to invest their time in QA
> makes more sense than adding more NEW packages to become the QA
> workload of the future. Directing everyone at NEW is counter-productive
> and encourages more horrible first-time packages.

I agree entirely with this goal - I'm not yet certain that allowing
unrestricted QA uploads by DMs will solve that problem, although I
wouldn't be against testing it out.

For starters, it could only really be allowed for DMs, not any old
packager, I think.  So would this produce results among "normal"
mentees?

My understanding was that some DMs are interested only in the packages
they already maintain, otherwise they would be in the NM queue - so
this subset would be less likely to bother with orphaned packages,
surely?  As for the others... if the act of allowing unrestricted QA
uploads would spur them to make lots of fixes, why do we not see DDs
doing this all the time?

(Advance warning: I'm interested in discussing the mentoring process
at DebConf.)

--
Tim Retout <dioc...@debian.org>