Mike Bird <mgb-deb...@yosemite.net> writes:
> On Thu July 22 2010 05:21:09 Russ Allbery wrote:

>> But on testing, it's been rock-solid for me for years.  It's not just
>> somewhat less breakage.  I think it's almost no breakage.  Occasionally
>> packages get stranded for a long time at back revs because of various
>> migration problems, and once or twice I've had to pin something
>> (usually because of non-free drivers like fglrx or nvidia that aren't
>> really part of Debian), but it's an experience that I can comfortably
>> recommend.

> I've been bitten too many times by the "We removed X from Testing for
> internal release master reasons - please don't imagine Testing is
> intended for real users" syndrome.

Why do you care if they temporarily removed X?  I mean, yes, that's a real
pain if that happens during the window when you're trying to install a new
system, and I suppose that could happen, but you have to get pretty
unlucky.  Nearly all of the time, you have X already installed, so what
difference does it make if it's not available from the repository for a
little bit?  It doesn't break the packages already on your system.  (In
fact, this is usually done to ensure that things sequence such that
upgrades *won't* break the packages already on your system.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>