On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 11:32 -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> On 06/08/10 07:55, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> * Package name    : pd-windowing
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > a) it's fine to have a single ITP mail for more than one package.  Not
> >    really a good idea to flood debian-devel with scores of mails if the
> >    packages are all related anyway.
> > b) none of your descriptions say what pd is or why anybody would want
> >    it.
> > c) maybe pd- as a prefix doesn't work so well.  I suggest puredata- as
> >    a prefix for package names - makes things a bit clearer and doesn't
> >    clutter the namespace that much.
>
> Currently, all puredata plugins are called pd-something, these packages
> are following convention.
> I do agree that some stub on puredata should be added (and Pd expanded
> in the short description).

In the Pd community, we've come to use "Pd" to mean any of the different
branches of Pd.  There are two main ones: Pd-vanilla aka puredata aka
Miller Puckette's distro; and Pd-extended, the main community distro.
Then there are two less popular ones: DesireData and pd-devel/vibrez.
If you are not familiar with this whole discussion, you can think of
these as different JVM implementations (Sun, OpenJDK, etc) or different
python implementations (C python, IronPython, PyPython, etc.)

So in Debian 'pd' represents anything that provides a Pd environment.
'puredata' provides 'pd' and most pd-* libraries depend on 'pd'.  I'm
working on packaging Pd-extended for Debian as well as 'pdextended',
which will also provide 'pd' since it can use all the libraries.  Then
there will be a couple libraries that will only work with 'pdextended',
so they will be called 'pdextended-mylib'.

How does that sound?

.hc