On Mon, January 10, 2011 09:57, Nicholas Bamber wrote:
> According to #370348, since 5.3 base-files has supported /etc/profile
> sourcing /etc/profile.d. I am using version 6.0.
> However /etc/profiles seems to be doing no such thing.

When was the system in question installed?

The changelog for base-files 5.3 says (emphasis mine) "Changed *default*
/etc/profile so that it sources /etc/profile.d/*.sh"; /etc/profile is
generated from the default file at initial install and not touched on
upgrades, so if the system was installed with an earlier base-files
version then you won't automatically get /etc/profile.d support.

You can check /usr/share/base-files/profile in order to verify that the
default file does include profile.d support.

Regards,

Adam