On Tuesday 08 February 2011 08:42:38 Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> I comaintain upstream qucs a simulator of electronics circuit and the
> only free one able to simulate radio frequency circuit.
>
> In the scientific field a lot of software depend of qt3. And a lot of
> uptream lack ressource to port to qt4. At my workplace (university) we
> are using a lot this kind of software for in house use.
>
> We are not ready to scitch to qt4, and I am willing to ask more
> explanation about removal of qt lib.

[snip]

Hi Bastien!

As you may know, Qt3 has been dead upstream for more than four years, and thus
without any kind of maintenance.

Our team's interests in Qt 3 was due to KDE 3, which will be removed now. So,
there is no further interest on Qt 3 and people in this team do not want to
be upstream of it or do not have the time to do so.

Our original idea was to remove Qt 3 from Debian. This will be for us the best
decision.
Of course, we can simply orphan Qt 3, and hope somebody will step up to
maintain it; we are unconvinced this is a responsible step for us to take as
it would place the maintenance burden of a large package onto the QA team.

Kinds regards,

Lisandro, in name of the Qt/KDE team

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer