On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:17:02PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> No, I don't think there's a way to do that programmatically.  You would
> just have to try capset and then chmod u+s.

instead of chmod, you would actually want something that checked/respected
dpkg-statoverride, rather than hard-coding the permissions.  there
unfortunately is no equivalent for capabilities that i know of.

I'd say this would be something that would be best handled either by
extending dpkg-statoverride, or dpkg itself (i.e. declaritive style),
though in the meantime trying to set the capabilities and failing
gracefully in the case that it's not supported seems reasonable.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 02:56:25PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Shouldn't this be done via DH instead of duplicating this code into
> lots of postinsts?

Eventually, sure, but no reason to jump the gun while $this is still
rather undefined.

        sean