On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 13:44 +0800, Asias He wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM, YANG,Chao <yor...@ust.hk> wrote:
> > Dear Sir,
> >   Recently, I downloaded a 32bit version of Debian from the following
> > website:
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-dvd/
> >
> >   However, after finishing installation, I found that the 32bit OS
> > turned out to be amd-64bit:
> >   uname -a
> >   Linux my-computer 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 22:49:26 UTC 2011
> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Can you post:
>
> $ dpkg -l|grep linux-image
>
> in your system.
>
> Did you have a 64-bit kernel installed on a 32-bit host.

'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH' will show which architecture the
rest of the system uses.

A 64-bit kernel is not supposed to be automatically selected, but it
could be if the system has 4 GB RAM and the '686-bigmem' flavour is not
available for some reason.

Please use 'reportbug installation-report' to provide more information.
The debian-devel list is not the place to send bug reports.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings