[Tollef Fog Heen]
> Yeah, this is a bit bad.  It seems neither git nor svn supports SRV
> records so I've set up proxying of svn and git for now.  (That «for
> now» means I'll likely turn it off once we have a stable release that
> supports SRV records.)

SRV records?  Does alioth have any SRV records that might be useful in
this context?  I queried various combinations of 'git', 'svn',
'subversion', 'svnserve', 'alioth', 'anonscm', and 'http' in queries
based on *._tcp.*.debian.org and didn't find any.

With my Subversion upstream hat on, I'd be happy to look at SRV
records, if you have a clear idea how they would work.  I'm very much
in favor of SRV as a concept.  So, we have svn://, http://, https://
and file://.  Which of these should use SRV, and what service names
should they query?  For example, perhaps svn:// should correspond to
_svn._tcp.{hostname} before it falls back to {hostname}:3690?

I'd be reluctant to push for SRV lookups for http:// and https://, as
that would be a break from what other HTTP and WebDAV clients do.

--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/