Le Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 01:48:50AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :

> * A year ago, I repacked CD1, .xz took 66% space needed by .gz.  This time,
>   on the whole archive, gains are somewhat smaller: 72%.  I guess that CD1
>   is code-heavy while packages of lower priorities tend to have more data.

Also, many files in /usr/share/doc are gzipped as per §12.3; that can prevent
to get the full benefit of xz compression.  In some of my packages containing
mostly such files, the benefit of switching to xz is almost null.  I wonder if
it still makes sense to compress these files by default:

 - Most systems have enough space to keep them uncompressed,
 - others systems just do not install these files,
 - some filesystems are compressed on the fly,
 - the binary packages themselves are compressed.

Perhaps we could consider allowing xz compression or no compression at all for
the files in /usr/share/doc, especially when they are all contained in a
dedicated package that is not dispensable.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,