 >> Saving a dozen of bytes in ${PATH} doesn't seem like an
 >> astonishing idea, anyway.  What's the point, then?

 > It is explained in the Red Hat wiki page. Try reading it again.

        Indeed, I've just read it.  To summarize: our / and /usr/ became
        quite tangled over the years, so let's use initramfs instead of
        /, and / instead of /usr.

        Honestly, I believe that Debian hasn't messed up that that
        badly.  (In particular, I still think that it's possible to boot
        without /usr being available.)  However, should initramfs really
        be considered “Debian's brand new /”, I demand that both
        e2fsck(8) and bash(1) be included into one by default, so that
        one would still be able to boot and repair a damaged /usr/^W /
        from there.

        To me, going this way means that initramfs becomes subject to
        unconstrained growth.  Somehow, I deem it less acceptable for
        initramfs than for /.

--
FSF associate member #7257