I've found that a few packages, contrary to my expectations,
        have Depends: on udev.  I'm primarily concerned with alsa-base
        and initramfs-tools, but also wonder about libcomedi0, dkopp,
        python-expeyes, libnjb5, media-player-info, pulseaudio, ukopp,
        xserver-xorg-core, and midisport-firmware.

        The backstory is that I'm about to install Debian (either stable
        or testing) on a tiny Architecture: i386 system, and consider
        excluding udev from the installation, as the hardware in
        question has virtually no support for any pluggable devices
        whatsoever.

--
FSF associate member #7257