Ian Jackson writes:
> Honestly, this is not a very good way to go about asking this
> question.

How do you suggest that I ask it?

> Yes, I know of a script that uses "units" and which would have to be
> modified.

Then my method of asking worked, didn't it?  I've also heard from
several others.  They gave me some useful details.

> Upstream should (a) think hard about whether this is really necessary
> (b) ask on info-gnu.

I assume that he did both, but I have no control over that.  In any
case, he asked me and so I asked here (and on debian-user).  It's the
best way I could think of to alert those members of the Debian community
who might be impacted by the change.  I have suggested that this
particular change be applied only in the interactive mode.

--
John Hasler