Previously Adam P. Harris wrote:
> I think there's not really much way we can get them to get netscape to
> respect this; I don't think it's worth it to munge thru the (quite
> volatile) netscape preferences either.

We can use the automatic proxy configuration and point users at that.
We could have browsers provide a hook to install their own config
stuff and make something like the script below for netscape.
We (are going to) use this for example:

function FindProxyForURL(url,host)
{
        if (url.substring(0, 5) != "http:"
                && url.substring(0, 4) != "ftp:"
                && url.substring(0, 7) != "gopher:")
                return "DIRECT";

        if (isResolvable(host))
                if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
                        dnsDomainIs(host, ".wi.leidenuniv.nl"))
                        return "DIRECT";
                else
                        return "PROXY wwwproxy.wi.leidenuniv.nl:3128; DIRECT";
        else
                return "DIRECT";
}

(With thanks to netgod for the protocol-detection).

Wichert.

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~wakkerma/