Josh Triplett <j...@joshtriplett.org> writes:

> The only downside that I can see: packages couldn't refer to a
> particular file under /usr/share/doc/$package/ by path, because those
> packages wouldn't know how the administrator might choose to compress
> their files.  Given the policy of not depending on files under
> /usr/share/doc/ to function, at most this will result in manpages and
> similar referencing paths that then need a .gz or .xz appended, and that
> doesn't seem like a big deal; people will cope and tools can learn to
> check for compressed variants.

We already have this situation with dh_compress, which compresses files
if it saves space. I had cases where between releases a file would end
up sometimes compressed and sometimes not. And that file was mentioned
in the README. I decided to just refer to the file without .gz extention
and figured users would be smart enough to find it.

MfG
        Goswin