On 12-03-06 at 11:33am, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> wrote:
> > > In other words, if not for Christian Marillat's work, your
> > > customer would either be unable to do this on Debian, or, assuming
> > > enough technical knowledge, have to beat upstream packages into
> > > working.
> >
> > ...or use another source which plays nicer with Debian, e.g.
> > backports.debian.org.
>
> I don't believe that backports.debian.org attempts to solve any of the
> problems that debian-multimedia solves.  In the past I've used
> Christian's packages for playing video files produced by a mobile
> phone with file extension .3gp and for writing mp4 files.  At the time
> the official Debian packages didn't support such things.  I haven't
> recently tried either of those operations on systems without
> Christian's packages installed so I don't know if things have changed.

That's exactly my point: Things have changed - believe it or not. :-)

> I have not experienced any serious problems with Christian's
> repository in terms of upgrading systems either.
>
> I'm glad that Christian does this, I know some people who would be
> buying Windows systems if I didn't make their Linux systems do things
> that Christian's packages support but which aren't supported by
> official packages.

I am also glad for what Christian have done.  I have have good use of
some of his packages.  But they do cause real problems, and I believe
they are (with libdvdcss2 as a possible exception) no longer the best
option as a) unstable has improved radically, and b) I guess the
improved packages are available at backports.debian.org.

I don't actually know for sure if they are available: Personally I only
use unofficial packages that I compile myself - be it backported from
Debian testing or unstable or sideports from d-m.o or other sources.

> I'm also glad that the people responsible for such decisions in Debian
> have decided to take a hard line against patent infringing software -
> last time I checked the Fedora people weren't as stringent which is a
> bad thing IMHO.  I think it's good to encourage people to use the more
> free software even if they are in a jurisdiction that doesn't support
> software patents and then give them an option if they really want to
> do otherwise.

Debian now has a *changed* hard line against patent infringing software
- resulting in more codecs supported in official Debian packages.

 - Jonas