Hi!
As PackageKit maintainer, I would like to say that we have
GNOME-PackageKit as high-lever package manager and Synaptic as
low-level PM for GNOME, and that Apper as a high-level package manager
is available on KDE.
So, I don't really see a problem with package-managers itself here,
you would just need to make one default for the metapackages.
Regards,
   Matthias