On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 07:12:42PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm not sure that I see the point, and I say that as someone who
> replaces Exim with Postfix on all of my boxes.

Nobody's suggesting you need to change to anything. The worst you
have to do if debian changed default MTA, would be to
"apt-get install exim4" (gasp, what horrible pain) when doing new
installations.

> There's nothing particularly wrong with Exim; it works just fine.

Exim in 2012 not supporting 8BITMIME and thus being the last Major MTA
forcing quoted-printable conversions to make emails "7bit clean" is quite
horribly wrong.

Debian is the main source of Exim installs in internet, it is also our fault.
According to one old stat[1], 34% of mx records were exim, most probably almost
all simply because it came by default in debian and it was "good enough"
so people didnt' switch away from it.

So yes, switching to postfix by default  would reduce the workload of email
servers around the globe (no need to burn cpu cycles and thus co2 to convert
emails to quoted-printable).

Yes that was a bit of a hyperbole, but this is my pet issue. I complained
last about it in 2009 [2] with no change from upstream since...

Riku

[1] http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201007/mxsurvey.html
[2] http://suihkulokki.blogspot.com/2009/07/cult-of-workarounds.html