On Wed, 2 May 2012, Riku Voipio <riku.voi...@iki.fi> wrote:
> It would be a RFC violation to just pass 8bit mails to servers not
> advertizing 8bitmime. It would be rfc compatible to the sending server
> to bounce instead of qp-converting 8bit mails, but that would arguably
> be even worse.

No, bouncing mail when it can't be properly delivered is much better than
violating RFCs.

Mail that is bounced with a human readable message describing the real cause
of the problem can then be re-sent once the problem is fixed.

Having mail be silently corrupted is not acceptable.

I've spent a lot of time debugging email problems over the years...