Matthew Woodcraft <matt...@woodcraft.me.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think the core question is: why is base-files special? Yes, it's
>> essential and all, but that doesn't address the case of packages being
>> downloaded separate from Debian, or unpacked by hand, in which case we
>> don't include a license. If we're legally fine with that, I'm having a
>> hard time seeing the clear distinction between that and a dependency on
>> another package including the license.

>> Surely this has been discussed before? I don't remember seeing it on
>> the debian-policy list since I started working on Policy.

> There's a fairly lengthy discussion starting at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2000/11/msg00235.html

Ah, yes, thank you.  (I wish we'd been using the BTS then, since it's hard
to determine from the thread what the conclusion was, but it seems to have
mostly just died down without anything changing.)

This is all about the GPL and whether having the GPL in base-files instead
of included in the package violates the GPL.  All the arguments being made
in favor of the approach we stuck with seem to me to be equally applicable
to having a separate license package and declaring a dependency on it.
There doesn't seem to be any strong argument there that making the package
essential buys us anything.

So... it does feel like either what we're doing right now isn't okay
according to the GPL and every package should have a copy, or creating a
license package that other packages depend on would be fine.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>