On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:07:13PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 07:33:49PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Unlike last August when we had that discussion, neither debootstrap nor d-i
> > have any problems with xz anymore.
>
> For udebs it will come after alpha 1.

Regular debs are unpacked far from any memory-critical paths (it's unpack,
configure, unpack, configure), but I don't know enough about d-i to risk
increasing the minimal memory requirement, which would be likely to happen
if udebs switched to xz (unpacking takes ~10MB memory).

So I didn't even look at any potential gains for udebs themselves, sorry for
forgetting to mention that.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple