On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 01:17:35 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 02:10:13AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > This would imply BSD tar needs to be promoted to the Essential set
> > alongside GNU tar, at which point I might as well just use an
> > internal tar implementation.
>
> Won't this only be needed for /packing/ the archive though?  Can't
> any tar implementation still be used for unpacking?  Or would
> dpkg-deb be constrained to a single tar for both operations?

Well strictly speaking, yes it would only be needed for «dpkg-deb -b».
For dpkg --unpack, GNU tar is not even used, an internal implementation
is used instead, so that proper control of what's going on can be done.

But having dpkg-deb either use BSD tar only for extraction or for both
building and extraction would require for it to depend on BSD tar
being present, and I don't think we can get rid of GNU tar from
Essential at this point in time anyway, that's where my comment was
coming from.

And making dpkg-deb use either GNU or BSD tar depending on which one is
present does not seem too compelling.

Also because some of the code has to be written anyway for the
internal tar extractor, it should not be much work to add the building
side.

thanks,
guillem