[I'm not subscribed to debian-devel at the moment, so please cc me on

I've uploaded new versions of libtiff4-dev and libtiff-dev (now the name
for libtiff5-dev, with libtiff5-dev as a virtual package).  libtiff-dev
now provides both libtiff4-dev and libtiff5-dev, and libtiff4-dev
provides libtiff-dev.  The consequence of this change is that packages
that depend on libtiff-dev will not get libtiff5-dev (which is what we
want) and packages that depend on libtiff5-dev or libtiff-dev can build
depend on other packages that themselves depend on libtiff4-dev.  This
makes it possible for people who want bigtiff support to immediately
change their build dependencies to libtiff-dev (>> 4.0.1-6~).  That
version also includes pkg-config support.  If you're already using
libtiff5-dev as a build dependency, there's no need to change it, but if
you want to switch to libtiff-dev at your next upload, that would be
reasonable.

Technically, it's not 100% correct for libtiff-dev to provide
libtiff4-dev because there are a very few source-incompatible changes.
However, all the changes are in parts of the interface that are
deprecated or not used by normal applications.  My spot check of a
handful of high-profile or complex packages has not revealed any
trouble, and I didn't have to change any of my own code to switch from
tiff4 to tiff5.  Lots of applications can support both, and many have
been supporting both for some time.  If you run into compile errors, you
can either explicitly build depend on libtiff4-dev and nag your
upstream, or you can fix them yourselves based on the information here:

http://libtiff.maptools.org/v4.0.0.html

--
Jay Berkenbilt <q...@debian.org>