[Peter Samuelson]
> And there is something to be said for the dpkg-source / debhelper
> style, in which each configuration parameter lives in its own tiny
> file (e.g., 'debian/source/format', 'debian/compat',
> 'debian/pyversions') rather than as fields of a larger file that is
> only tangentially related to the task at hand.

...Or add the exclude list to a file called 'debian/watch'.  That makes
even more sense to me.  I mean, that file format isn't perfect (having
options start with a prefix of "opts=" is a bit clunky, as is the
design of one self-contained logical line per source, where there is
almost always just a single source) but the format is explicitly
versioned, so these things can be fixed.