I'm not positive whether this properly belongs here; if it would be more
appropriate on another mailing list, just let me know which one.

I'm a long-time user of e16, which has been removed from Debian, per bug 619707.
The reasons cited for removal are that it has been replaced by e17, that it is
orphaned, and that it is RC-buggy due to toolchain issues.

I have tried out e17, and after some consideration, have concluded that it does
not constitute a suitable replacement for e16 for my purposes. As e16 is also
still maintained upstream (albeit not by the original developer AFAICT), this
invalidates that reason for removal as far as I am concerned.

I am not familiar with what the cited toolchain issues are, or what the
consequent bugs might be. How might I find this out, short of manually searching
through closed bugs against the e16 package in case the information is there?

As e17 does not constitute a suitable replacement for e16 for my purposes, I
have an interest in seeing e16 continue to be available via Debian. What would I
need to do to get this package added back in?

I would be willing to assume maintainership of the e16 Debian package if that is
what it would take, although I do not know whether I have the skill to be able
to do a good job of it.

I am reading the Debian New Maintainers' Guide to educate myself on what would
be involved with maintaining a package, beyond the obvious, and on how to go
about getting a package added to Debian. However, since this package was
previously in the repository and has been removed, it seems likely that there
would be additional considerations beyond those associated with a new package.

Given the previous removal of this package, the reasons cited for that removal,
and the (I infer) relative imminence of a new stable release, what further
requirements and/or deadlines would I need to keep in mind as I work on this,
and what possible further procedures (beyond those in the new-package
documentation) would I need to follow?

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger