❦ 29 septembre 2012 12:35 CEST, Salvatore Bonaccorso <car...@debian.org> :

>> In roundcube package, I am turning existing directories to symlinks and
>> symlinks into directories. It seems that dpkg does not like that:
>> symlinks are not replaced with the appropriate directories. I didn't
>> find anything about this in the documentation. How should I handle such
>> cases?
>
> This is indeed intentional, that dpkg never replaces directories with
> symlinks if directory is present, see [1] and [2] (under 4.).
>
>  [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/404850
>  [2]:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html#s-unpackphase
>
> Andreas Beckmann recently is filling many of these bugs discovered by
> piuparts runs (updating Squeeze -> Wheezy). Most common approach there
> is to do the substitution in postinst, in case the directory is there.
> See for example [3].
>
> [3]: http://bugs.debian.org/687859
>
> Does this helps?

Thanks for the pointers! I now understand why this does not
work. Fixing in postinst is quite difficult since I have swapped
symlinks and, from the bug reports, successive installs make the
situation worst (things got installed in the wrong place).

Well, I need to work a bit on this.
--
 /*
  * Hash table gook..