Andreas Tille writes ("Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's
packages"):
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:10:09AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > However, so far, it seems that the discussion is split between people
> > that think "it would work", and people that think "it would not work".
> > Maybe we could try for a few months, and if it does not work, fix it?
>
> +1

I don't think this is a good idea because it may actually restrict
rather than empower.  At the moment much of the stuff in this area is
"what you can get away with".  If you can say "I asked around and made
sure everyone was aware, and it was clear no-one was objecting" then
anyone who comes along later with a grievance is going to get short
shrift from the rest of the project.

Whereas now we're proposing codifying a policy that requires explicit
acks even for unopposed actions.

Ian.