I do not want to fight with you.

I do not want to silence you.

I do not want to _force_ you to think a certain way. But I would be
pleased if you would be willing to try a different way of thinking.

I do not want to detract from the focus of the original post of this
thread. Meaning I would just like to offer a perspective, but if you
don't think it helpful, it will be ok to leave it alone. I will not
badger you, because I don't like being badgered, even when I'm
completely wrong, I still don't like being badgered.

When you read my email, please, just take it as someone trying to help
you see something from a perspective you might not have considered.
Please don't consider it hostile, because that is not what I was going
for. I tried to help explain with example the unintended consequences
of changing stuff just to change stuff sometimes is kinda bad. It
wasn't about sysv, nor systemd, nor microsoft, nor GPS.

It was [it's 30 years old, and outdated, we need to move forward]
given as a reason.

But you are totally right, I would rather have my freedom to try
something else, than be forced to accept that there is only one way.

 -> However, I sometimes forget that others might have tried different
things too, and some lessons might have been learned from it, hence
it's not that there is only one way to do this, but it is best to do
it this way for reasons <x, y, z, squirrel, etc>.

There have been many times in my life where I have been worked up, and
convinced I had given something more than enough thought -> and was
pretty damn sure my way was the only way.

Figuratively speaking -> about half of those times I was right. My way
was superior.

 -> the other half -> only after I got worked up, said many things I
was certain of, and then got so frustrated I broke away -> did I
temporarily just let a few things go.

When I did that -> let a few things go & a bit of time passed -> it
occurred to me that there was an entirely different way of thinking
about <whatever> and I all of a sudden saw what others were trying to
get me to see.

 -> I am not saying you are wrong. I don't know much about systemd. I
am an aerospace engineering student.

 -> I've learned (continue to learn) that I am smart, but I can still
do some rather foolish things.

 -> Only by learning the hard way that my concrete reason is not
always so concrete, I've recognized that smart is not the opposite of
foolishness. Wisdom is. And I like how someone once said, wisdom is
the union of knowledge and experience.

 -> Sometimes I know best because I have had a great deal of
experience in what I am talking about.

 -> Sometimes I have learned that I am bad at judging the inexperience
of others, and I am too dismissive of what they are saying. I usually
end up finding out that I never had actually really listened to what
they said the first time around.

So, I don't want to fight. Fighting poisons my mind with emotions that
lock me out of being able to see things from a different perspective.

I am usually unable to see things from a different perspective until
I've calmed down from getting worked up.

I usually only calm down when I've decided that I am just going to
leave this alone for a while. Do something else, like aerospace hw.
....Yays.

Sorry for the ramble, ADD meds kicked in when I was just starting to
type. But, I do think I have some good points, I also think sometimes
people ignore the point unless you show them why it actually is a good
point, hence, the explanation.

 : D

Oh, some people have asked why the microsoft stuff is relevant.

Here is an expanded rationale, hopefully it will make sense this time.

Speaking of linux hasn't changed in 30 years, it's time to move forward...

I tried to show that (I think) the reason it hasn't changed in 30
years is because a superior way to go has not yet been implemented.
That does not mean you can't have a better or just as good idea, but
it usually is a cautionary tale to at least see what other things have
been tried and how did they turn out.

That's where the microsoft / unix example came from. It was just to
show that... it was an older idea, but it still works better. And when
you think...

 -> 1960s : multiple people affecting the same computer : we need some
restrictions to keep the peace (like police in real life)

 -> 1980s : microsoft - mainframes were a thing of the past, now
everyone has a computer to themselves, we can leave that minimal
permissions way of thinking in the past and move forward with......

 -> 1990s : internet - rapidly, all of the isolated single user
computers started to interact with other systems. You could start to
think of the internet as this giant system with multiple people using
it at the same time : and if you abstract home directories into home
computers, people could write programs to do malicious things and
trick you into running them with deception. Since unix long ago
learned that you should only use the admin account to do admin things,
on unix, malware might print through all the paper you have, or delete
all of your files, but with minimal permissions, the damage would
(usually) stop there. It would suck, but it wasn't compromise your
entire computer with just browsing the web suck. You had to be
targeted by crackers, your system wasn't so naive as to just let any
and everybody have their way - hence, where the unix model got its
start.

Microsoft tested what happens when you remove a police force from a
population - anarchy and chaos and vigilantes ensue. Only it's system
- malware, bluescreens, and antivirus.

Would not call it a better way to go.

People don't like history lessons because they feel lectured when
history disagrees with their idea.

History shows people who don't like history lessons tend to concretely
re-establish why we teach history lessons in the first place.

History is a ladder. Kick it aside and start climbing anyway and
eventually you will climb up to where you started, minus a significant
amount of time and energy, and possibly your life as well.

If it is something new, go for it. If it is something previously done
but abandoned, there are probably some lessons why, and that is what
some of the people here are trying to get you to see.

-Kev