On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:16:09 +0100
Guillem Jover <guil...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 23:30:01 +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> > [...] and the hierarchical format
> > that apt uses doesn't have a readily-usable parser outside of apt
> > (at least not that I know of).
>
> W/o getting into the debate of what format is better or nicer, the
> configuration format from which APT's is based, the ISC config format,
> is available in libisccfg.

Well, from what I see in [1], this library depends on libcap2,
libdns81, libisc83 and libisccc80, among other things.  Of these
only libisc83 appears to be a somewhat sensible dependency ("ISC
Shared Library used by BIND") -- all the others look like a clear sign
of a layering violation: I fail to understand how a configuration file
format parsing library might depend on POSIX capabilities, a DNS
library and a "BIND command channel" library.  It's not like I want to
blame the library or its packagers, just want to point out this library,
as it currently stands, does not appear to be really useful outside of
the set of tools comprising the BIND suite.

1. http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libisccfg82