On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 09:49:03PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> If there's people who are still worried about that, I'd ask them to
> file bugs on the base packages to make them pass -Zgz explicitly to
> dpkg-deb (I'll do that for dpkg.deb in any case), and I can wait for
> the base system to be switched, but those packages could always be
> changed on their next upload, or even a fatal lintian error created
> so that ftp-master can reject those (I don't think there's one
> currently?). Otherwise I'll be doing the change with the dpkg 1.17.0
> upload.

The problem with that check was that it's hard to determine what's in the
base set as that's defined by the essential packages plus their (transitive)
dependencies. So it'd need to be either a static list or something more
clever that looks at the target suite. (And even then another binary might
suddenly be depended on which is not xz-compressed.)

That only matters iff we care about the base system needing to be
gz-compressed.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern