On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Matthias Klose <d...@debian.org> wrote:

> Am 12.05.2013 16:18, schrieb Daniel Schepler:
> > Maybe we could have a release goal of dropping as many lib32* and lib64*
> > packages as possible in favor of multi-arch.  (And also as many package
> > dependencies on libc6-[i386|amd64] as possible, which would in addition
> > mean limiting some packages to arch:i386 if they currently provide a fake
> > arch:amd64 package with an i386 binary.)
> >
> > Of course, to completely get rid of everything including libc6-* and
> > lib32gcc1, etc., we'd need special configuration on the buildds to
> continue
> > building gcc with multilib support; and the GCC maintainer has expressed
> > resistance to being that radical even if we could get this buildd
> support.
>
> Well, GCC should keep building with a sane amount of effort.  And that
> currently
> means not depending on a "foreign" architecture on the buildds.  So before
> this
> can happen:
>
>  - get dpkg ready to accept b-d's on foreign architectures.
>
>  - get GCC ready to search for gcc_lib_dir for foreign multilibs.
>    and get this submitted upstream before getting it to the Debian
>    packages.

I didn't need to do anything special on this back when I did the proof of
concept.  All I had to do was adjust the <gcclibdir>/32/libgcc_s.so symlink
created in the packaging to point to the multiarch location.

>  - find a solution for multilibs which are not fully supported
> architectures,
>    but only partial ports, or ports maintained outside the archive.

That case could continue to use multilib without creating the (admittedly
minor) redundancy that multilib + multiarch creates.

>  - get the buildd infrastructure ready.
>
>  - find a solution that GCC's b-d's may not be installable anymore with
>    the current approach to binNMUs.

OK, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of before.  So, it does make
sense to keep libc6-i386 and lib32gcc1 if only for cross-architecture
version skew issues.  But I also think for most users it would make sense
to allow for the option of satisfying gcc-multilib's dependencies using
multiarch, and to make this the default option on multiarch systems.
Though that would probably involve adding alternatives somewhere which
might be more trouble than it's worth...

> It is wrong to drop the current multilib support before these are
> implemented
> and in place.
>
> So what do you commit to work on?
>
> I don't think that there are that many packages where you can or should
> drop
> multilib support.  So it would be wrong to drop multilib support for zlib
> (GCC,
> gdb), ncurses, readline, expat (gdb) now.  And there are not that many more
> packages providing multilib support.

Umm, maybe this is a stupid question, but why would we need to support
uploading packaged cross-compiled versions of gdb?  As for the others you
listed, I've gotten by just fine on x32 without any lib[32|64]z1 etc.
packages.

(Also, on a side note: do you have any idea why expat provides lib64expat1
but no lib32expat1?)
--
Daniel Schepler