+++ Steve Langasek [2013-05-13 11:22 -0500]:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 06:21:24PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > On Monday 13 May 2013 03:55 PM, Arno Töll wrote:
> > > note that, unlike Ubuntu we do not provide automated debug packages.
> > > Hence many crash reports aren't usable at all when they are generated on
> > > Debian systems.
>
> > This could be a start. It could help users request debug packages from
> > package maintainers.
>
> This is a poor use of package maintainers' time.  The problem of debug
> symbols packages needs to be solved centrally for the whole archive, not
> with continued use of one-off builds.

I second this. This is one thing Ubuntu has done rather better than
Debian IMHO: mechanised the process of making debug packages so there
usually is one without each package having to explicitly declare it
and munge the rules file to make it. Adopting some similar scheme (or
even the same one) makes a lot of sense to me.

Does anyone object to doing this? Are there problems with doing it?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/