I wrote a note to my LUG about the use of /etc/hosts to lessen the
chance of visiting some types of web sites, and got a reply saying
that /etc/host.conf was deprecated.  And a long time ago.

I'm running unstable, surely if /etc/host.conf was deprecated I
would have seen a note about it in the past?  And yet, it is still
on my computer, and still part of base-files.

A bit more than a year ago, I ran the OpenWRT ImageBuilder process
against every package they had registered.  I never did a "clean".
I think only 20 packages failed to build.

I think this OpenWRT tree is a reasonable facsimilie for a Debian
tree.

I recently ran a find against any ordinary file in that tree,
looking for 'host.conf' (using fgrep).  I got 118 hits.  Some
mistakes (host.conf was part of a file name).

There were hits on documentation, and I suspect in most part that
documentation is obsolete.

I big chunk of the hits were (what appeared to me to be) user
programs.  User programs to configure /etc/host.conf make sense,
if /etc/host.conf is being used.  But why else would a user
program need /etc/host.conf?

Gord