On Sat, 18 May 2013 01:36:02 +0200
Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 07:12:26PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > I can already say that it won't be binary identical to the 64+32 build,
> > because even the 64-bit standalone build isn't binary identical to the
> > 64-bit side of a combined build (even though they're configured the
> > exact same way). I'm not sure what the differences are, though vbindiff
> > confirms that (in at least one file selected at random) it's not just a
> > few random bytes.
>
> A wild idea: what if official amd64 buildds were mandated to have i386
> enabled?  That's nasty special casing, but far less nasty than multilib.

Special casing which gets in the way as soon as people ask for armel on
armhf etc.

Multi-Arch is not just about runtime, there are very good reasons to
have foreign architectures installed together with Multi-Arch (armhf on
amd64) rather than just "related" architectures (i386 on amd64).

Cross-architecture dependencies are going to be necessary for other
packages (like sane Multi-Arch cross-compilers), not just Wine.

This isn't about just 32bit vs 64bit. The solution needs to be generic
for any combination of architectures.

--

Neil Williams